Netscape Browser Add Ons and Application Development
As a Mozilla-based browser, Netscape 7.x is extremely customizable. Add features for yourself or for distribution. Create your own applications using the XUL development framework. Add-ons provided by third-parties are not supported and are recommended for developers that are familiar with use of beta software.
Creating Applications with Mozilla
This O'Reilly book by David Boswell, Brian King, Ian Oeschger, Pete Collins and Eric Murphy is the definitive resource for learning how to create applications using the Mozilla Platform.
Sidebar tabs are panels that are written in HTML or XUL and can be installed in Netscape browser. Visit Netscape's My Sidebar Directory to install sidebar tabs or follow these links to learn how to develop your own:
- My Sidebar Developer's Guide
- Quick Reference Sidebar Tabs
- Additional Sidebar Tab resources on LiveSidebar.com
XPI Toolbars and XUL apps for Mozilla
Mozilla allows extentions that can be distributed and installed on top of the browser. The following are links related with projects about XUL and XPI components:
- Creating a Toolbar for Netscape 7
- mozdev.org's User Agent Toolbar allows users to easily change the Mozilla's User Agent string to various values for testing User Agent String detection.
- Other mozdev.org projects for Mozilla
- XUL Planet's Tutorials, samples and XUL applications.
- XUL applications and other extensions at Outsider reflex